Author: Bryan S. Bush
Hardcover: 192 pages
Product Dimensions: 6" x 9"
Retail Price: $24.95
Native Scotsman Andrew Cowan immigrated with his family to New York in 1848 and was attending Madison University when the Civil War erupted upon the American landscape. At the young age of 20, he answered the call for volunteers from President Abraham Lincoln and joined the Union army. Over the next four years, he rose through the ranks of the artillery, becoming a colonel commanding his own brigade. During his military career he fought in some of the most bloody and costly battles of the Civil War, including the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and the Overland Campaign, as well as the battle of Gettysburg, where his battery literally faced Confederate General George Pickett’s Charge. In 1865, Cowan was even present at the surrender of Appomattox, when Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant, which essentially ended the Civil War conflict.
Following the War, he moved to Louisville, Kentucky and became a very successful businessman in the leather industry. With his success in business, he decided to follow in the footsteps of Andrew Carnegie and use his wealth towards philanthropic endeavors. He was on the board of directors for the Southern Exposition (1883-1887), helped raise funding for the base of the Statue of Liberty, and came up with the idea for a Louisville Park System. Once his idea of a Louisville Park system was approved by the philanthropic organizations in Louisville and the city, he helped raise funding for the Louisville park system and served as President for the board of Park Commissioners.
Later in life, he tried to mend the wounds from the Civil War that tore the country apart. He was the father of the “Blue and Gray Reunion” at Gettysburg in 1887 and helped organize the Fiftieth Anniversary Reunion at Gettysburg, was entertainment director for the 1895 Grand Army of the Republic reunion in Louisville, helped with the organization of the 1905 and 1917 Confederate Veteran’s reunion in Louisville, and helped raise funding and helped organize the festivities for the unveiling of the Abraham Lincoln Memorial in Hodgenville, Kentucky.
Although he fought for the North during the War, he dedicated his life after the War towards fostering peace between the North and South. He served not only his city and his country, but also he served his fellow man.
Bryan Bush was born in 1966 in Louisville, Kentucky and has been a native of that city ever since. He graduated with honors from Murray State University with a degree in History and Psychology, and received his Master’s Degree from the University of Louisville in 2005.
Bryan has always had a passion for history, especially the Civil War. He has been a member of many different Civil War historical preservation societies, has consulted for movie companies and other authors, coordinated with other museums on displays of various museum articles and artifacts, has written for magazines, such as Kentucky Civil War Magazine, North/South Trader, The Kentucky Civil War Bugle and Back Home in Kentucky and worked for many different historical sites, and has always fought hard to maintain and preserve Civil War history in the Western Theater. In 1999, Bryan published his first work: The Civil War Battles of the Western Theater. Since then, Mr. Bush has had published over thirteen books on the Civil War including Lloyd Tilghman: Confederate General in the Western Theatre; Louisville During the Civil War: A History and Guide; Lincoln and the Speeds: An Enduring and Devoted Friendship; Butcher Burbridge: Union General Stephen Gano Burbridge and his Reign of Terror over Kentucky; Louisville’s Southern Exposition: The City of Progress
and Haunted Battlefields of the South, Resting in Peace: Civil War Leaders in Cave Hill Cemetery.
(click for full story)
Businessman and civic leader Col. Andrew Cowan's Tudor Revival-style country estate near Big Rock also has had a distinguished history as home to members of the Reynolds Metals Co. family — hence the aluminum roof — and finally the Cleve Gatchel family. Five generations of the family had operated the W.D. Gatchel & Sons photography and graphic arts supply business, started in 1862, which closed on East Market Street in about 2001.